Bonds ($99,800,000) for the project were issued in early 1954. The proceeds to the Authority amounted to $96,400,033.33. The cost to design the project was $3,500,000 (Steinman Company). The cost to construct the bridge was $70, 268,500. Two primary contractors were hired to build the bridge: American Bridge for superstructure – $44,532,900; and Merritt-Chapman and Scott of New York for the foundations – $25,735,600. The remainder of the proceeds from the bond sale was used to service the bond debt both during and after construction. Tolls could not be collected until the bridge was opened to traffic on November 1, 1957.
- Due to COVID-19 concerns, Mackinac Bridge Authority will not accept cash transactions starting Saturday
- Mackinac Bridge painting project wins third award
- Mackinac Bridge Authority suspends driver assistance program to help slow the spread of COVID-19
- Mackinac Bridge painting project wins second award
- October, November and December 2019 Traffic Report