Bonds ($99,800,000) for the project were issued in early 1954. The proceeds to the Authority amounted to $96,400,033.33. The cost to design the project was $3,500,000 (Steinman Company). The cost to construct the bridge was $70, 268,500. Two primary contractors were hired to build the bridge: American Bridge for superstructure – $44,532,900; and Merritt-Chapman and Scott of New York for the foundations – $25,735,600. The remainder of the proceeds from the bond sale was used to service the bond debt both during and after construction. Tolls could not be collected until the bridge was opened to traffic on November 1, 1957.
- As traffic increases and delays return, Mackinac Bridge Authority asks customers to be patient
- April 2020 Traffic Report
- 2020 Mackinac Bridge Walk suspended
- Update - Ways to view and comment on May 13 Mackinac Bridge Authority special meeting
- Special meeting May 13 to discuss Annual Bridge Walk