Posted on April 12th, 2017Each winter, ice forms on the cables and towers of the Mackinac Bridge, usually from freezing rain. When winds increase or temperatures rise, that ice can dislodge suddenly, sending sheets or spears of ice cascading down to the bridge deck below. “Ice falling from the bridge towers and cables can fall more t… Read More
Posted on March 30th, 2017For the first time in its 60-year history, one of the Mackinac Bridge’s iconic ivory towers will be stripped down to bare metal and repainted.
Beginning April 6, con… Read More
Posted on November 22nd, 2016Mackinac Bridge Authority (MBA) maintenance supervisor Ned McLennan has several jackets in his office – a black canvas coat and a safety yellow jacket among them – but all of them are streaked with ivory and green… Read More
Posted on September 26th, 2016First he was simply called “The Manistee Eagle,” indicating the county where he was rescued. Now he’s dubbed “Mighty Mac” in honor of the location where he’ll be released back into the wild on Tuesday, Oct. 4. The Mackinac Bridge Authority (MBA) is assisting in the release of… Read More
Posted on September 12th, 2016Some engineering professors had an idea to monitor bridges with sensors powered with the vibrations generated by traffic. Think self-winding watch. Those professors, including one at Michigan State University, think they have mastered the technology. But they needed a real-world platform to try it out. Enter B… Read More
Posted on September 5th, 201255th Annual Bridge Walk another success Approximately 45,000 walkers crossed the Mackinac Bridge on a gorgeous Labor Day this year – up 25 percent from last year despite record-high holiday gas prices. Prior to the walk, a handful of runners celebrated the Pure Michigan FIT campaign and hit the bridge deck to… Read More
Posted on July 20th, 2012Snyder reappoints Gnodtke and Musser to Mackinac Bridge Authority Gov. Rick Snyder today announced the reappointments of William Gnodtke, of Charlevoix, and Dan Musser, of Petoskey and Mackinac Island, to the Mackinac Bridge Authority. Established in 1950, the seven-member Mackinac Bridge Authority authori… Read More
Posted on March 23rd, 2012Mackinac Bridge to “Light It Blue” April 2 for autism awareness Fast Facts:
– “Light It Blue Michigan” autism-awareness campaign begins April 2.
– Special bridge-viewing ceremony begins at 8 p.m. at the St. Ignace Country Club; Mackinac Bridge officials will “Ligh… Read More
Posted on March 14th, 2012Gov. Snyder announces MBA to partner with Merit Network to expand Internet service in Michigan Fast Facts:
– Agreement will create or enhance Internet service in Michigan rural areas.
– Michigan will invest $247 million in federal broadband funding involving fiber-optic strands.
– Cables cr… Read More
Posted on December 13th, 2011Mackinac Bridge passenger vehicles tolls to be $4 starting Jan. 1 Effective Sunday, Jan. 1, 2012, the following rates will go into effect (per crossing): – Auto/passenger vehicle: $4; vehicle with trailer: $2 per axle
– Commuter: $2*
– Other, including commercial trucks and motor homes: $5 per… Read More
- Mackinac Bridge reopens following fourth falling ice closure; future closures remain likely
- 2018 Annual Bridge Walk will start in both St. Ignace and Mackinaw City for safety, convenience
- Meeting Notice
- January Traffic Report
- Mackinac Bridge Authority continues planning for 2018 Annual Bridge Walk